Tuesday, July 2, 2013

How to wear red lipstick and not look dramatic!!

I know Red is old news. Infact the rest of the bloggers are done with reviewing red lipsticks, claiming their love for Mac's Ruby Woo and Scarlet Ibis and have moved on to the other colours.

But how many times have you excitedly applied red lipstick and then wiped it off thinking it gives clown lips or for the lack of a better word makes you look OTT and trashy. Well welcome to the club!

Like the rest of the world I too bought a lot of red shades, to find my 'the one' as mentioned in my earlier post Colorbar's Hearts and Tarts is the one that suits my yellow skin the most. However, that was not the end of the problem. When wearing red I am always confused what makeup to pair it with. Especially with Indian wear (read while attending weddings) just a lipstick with no other makeup looks to plain no? I know the trick is to always pair bright lips with muted eyes but even a simple Kajal, eyeliner and neutral shadow would look to stark on the face. So I did some experimentation at home, and after some trials and errors here's what I found:

  • Always wear red in the matte form
  • Skip kajal completely or apply a very thin line
  • Apply eyeliner thinly and a thin cost of mascara
  • Use only neutral eyeshadows like gold or copper
  • Use a very neutral blush bordering on coral/brown
I also googled some pictures of actresses wearing red for inspiration that led me to this conclusion, here are they:





I tried this look on myself and here are my pictures:


With flash




Without flash

The products I used



  1. Colorbar Hearts & Tarts lipstick mixed with Colorbar Obsessed with Orange lipstick to give that slight orangey tint
  2. The brown eyeshadow from the Lakme 4 in 1 Eyeshadow quartet - Silk Route
  3. L'oreal Trumatch Blush - Pink Grapefruit
  4. Revlon Lash Fantasy Mascara
  5. Benefit High Beam highlighter
  6. Chambor dark brown eyepencil - to line my lower eye lid (instead of black kaajal)
  7. Avon eyebrow filler

Missed on clicking my foundation and finishing powder - Used Mac Studio Sculpt N30 and Loose Powder N30

What do you couple your red lipstick with? I would love to hear. Do drop your inputs in my comments box

17 comments:

  1. you look so beautiful in the pics Rajvi.. and I completely agree with you on the makeup part When we wear bright lips..rest of our face needs to be toned down ! You have done your makeup perfectly ! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the matte part. Matte red lips are the best. I like to wear mine with some winged liner, full lashes and a hint of a peachy blush. :)

    http://embellished001.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Girl you looks pretty and loved your blog very much <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great on you...I am dying to try a red lipstick for so long but I am such a chickenshit...

    jennysbicycle.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally agree with your tips of red lipstick..i always follow the same funda....you looking red hot in that look :)

    http://www.myunfinishedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very true red lipstick can be overly too bold and these look really good and subtle.

    xoxo
    Ivy
    http://www.purrpleivy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post!I'm trying to wear my red lippie outside too ( so far unsuccessfully). Will try these tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rajvi..u r too pretty..whn i was crolling down th epics..believe me..i felt urs wAS THE BEST.
    As far as i m concerned..i wore red lips on my wedding..n that was the first n last time i did red lips. But i really wanna try it..lets see whn.

    Aditi
    So-Saree
    www.sosaree.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  9. You totally nailed it! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. increible! red lipstick are always adorable! Nice post :)

    www.somethingchic.org

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like red lipstick! Red is my favorite color! The pictures you selected are lovely and you look very beautiful! Has anyone ever told you that you do look like Aishwarya yourself? You do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE red lips. They are so pretty even for every day wear! Well at least that's my motto :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely...

    Participate in the giveaway on my blog to win beautiful earrings.
    http://icynosure.blogspot.in/2013/07/what-women-want.html

    Follow each other via GFC and Bloglovin?

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi nice blog ...Would you like to follow each other on both gfc and bloglovin...let me know..

    http://deepti01.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts, inputs feedback about my posts. Please leave your comments in my comments box. Thank you!